Wednesday, February 09, 2011

To upgrade or not to upgrade * updated


Greetings!

One of our partners asked me yesterday about my thoughts on upgrading. Whether Sitecore recommends upgrading to 6.4 as of now or not. Also, just stumbled upon this great discussion here on Kim Hornung’s blog!

This is quite an interesting and thought provoking question, and I don’t think there could be a single answer to that and I also think that Sitecore has been doing a great job not forcing customer’s to upgrade. At the end of the day, it is your customer’s requirements and expectations that should drive the decision. With Sitecore’s successful hotfix process, if you have an issue that is a showstopper, you can request a quick hotfix from the Customer Service rather than upgrading your whole infrastructure!

upgrade decision treeHere is a decision tree that encompass everything that I generally suggest to customers and partners.

Click on the image to expand.

Please note that this is not an official recommendation from Sitecore. Rather, these are my personal thoughts on the subject.

With 6.3.1 being recommended, I’ve updated the image.

0 comments: