Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Visual Studio 2010 RC Intellisense Crash Issue


As many of you, I am developing with VS 2010 since the RC release. There are no issues discovered so far in terms of working with Sitecore .NET CMS, which is truly great but I have been having one annoying issue with the IDE crashing very often. I noticed that this was mainly happening when I was typing and intellisense was triggered. Immediately after it, the application crashed.
After a quick search, I’ve found the two hotfixes that were supposed to help (more about this here and here):
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=26662
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=27019

The only problem was that the installation of these updates were failing, making it to the middle on the process and then rolling back.

I’ve tried different suggestions, like this one, hinting that closing daemon tools and Skype should help. I also stopped the W3SVC service, SQL service and reinstalled. This time it worked great! Now I am a happy camper :-)

4 comments:

ben said...

Hi Alex,

I had the same problem, unfortunately the reinstall didn't fix it for me. Shouldn't be long now till the retail version hits the shelves :)


Cheers,
Ben

Unknown said...

Hey,


Glad you harnessed this horse up! Happy programming with МЫ 2010 and Net Framework 4.

Btw. have you heard of multiple monitor support and zoom capabilities? if not, please welcome to my thread about it :) please welcome to my blog - http://microsoft-net-development.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

In testing we haven't been able to run sitecore in a .NET Framework 4.0 application pool. We're getting this error:
System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: The parameter is incorrect
Is a NET Framework 4.0 patch available? I understand we can still use MS Visual Studio 2010, but we want to take advantage of some of the .NET Framework 4.0 changes.

Unknown said...

Kerry, sorry for not responding.
Full .NET 4 support is coming in next version later this year.